Full Time Chief Legal Advisor Company Secretary at Namibia Port Authority
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide a full spectrum of legal services to the Namibian Ports Authority (Namport) to ensure adequate control over the company’s contractual obligations and entitlements in order to minimize legal risks and optimise legal advantages and opportunities for Namport. The position further provide company secretarial services to Management and the Board and embed best practice in corporate governance. The position manages a team of other Legal Practitioners and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Scan the legal environment, taking cognisance of Namport’s business strategy, and provide advice on areas that expose the company’s business interests and develops appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Guide and support Namport to effectively deal and comply with all legal instruments, taking cognisance of the environment in which the company operates
- Advise Management and the Board on all matters that have serious legal implications and effectively deal with all litigations and legal actions that the company faces.
- Lead and participate in contractual preparations and negotiations with third parties, where these involve fundamental and important legal consequences to the Company’s interests.
- Establish and maintain relationships with all stakeholders and institutions that impact or may impact Namport’s business environment from a legal perspective
- Provide company secretarial services to the company involving statutory administration, preparation of and attendance of Board meetings and its committees, co-ordination and management of Board and stakeholder meetings, including the preparation of Board packs, minute taking and distribution thereof
- Provide professional and specialised advice, guidance and information to Management and the Board on matters of governance, risk and compliance, ethical conduct and emerging governance issues.
- Manage and establish legal excellence within the division to ensure that legal systems, processes and services are offered in a way that enhances stakeholder satisfaction.
- Provide effective team leadership and develop a strong culture that supports continual divisional improvement and performance.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- An Honours Degree [NQF Level 8] in the fields of Law (LLB) or equivalent.
- Admitted Legal Practitioner in Namibia.
- A Master’s degree in relevant areas such as in Maritime Law, Corporate/ Commercial/ General Law or Masters in Business Administration (MBA) would be an added advantage
- A minimum of eight (8) years relevant technical experience in Legal Practice, Compliance, Governance, of which five (5) years should have been in management/ partner, specialist or senior supervisory capacity, preferably in a corporate environment.
- Prior corporate law experience as well as experience in the maritime industry will serve as an advantage
- Candidate with professional training in the areas of Corporate Governance, Commercial Law, Legal Due diligence, Compliance Management, and/ or Company Secretariat would receive preferential treatment.
- Broad legal knowledge and understanding of legal issues in the maritime industry.
- Strong analytical, research and writing skills coupled with sharp attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills, coupled with the ability to work well within a team and individually
- Strong negotiator, critical thinker with advanced persuasion ability, as well as the ability to make good judgements and solve problems promptly.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong working relations with stakeholders at all levels.
- High degree of professionalism, ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Strong ability to handle confidential matters.
How to Apply
The company ONLY accept applications via their career portal. Interested candidates can apply via the link below:Apply online via: Namport Career Portal
Closing Date: 25 August 2023- Namport is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing world-class port services to all local, regional and international seaborne traders, through excellent customer service, sustainable growth, development and social responsibility. Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. - All foreign qualifications should be evaluated by NQA.
425 total views, 2 today