Full Time Manager: Non-Milk at Namibia Dairies (Pty) Ltd
Location: Superfarm, Mariental
Manager: Non Milk
Purpose of Position
The incumbent is responsible to manage and implement the non-milk department strategy, focusing on heifer rearing, fertility, breeding management, animal health, feeding, cow house management, and affluent control. The role further aims to achieve the division’s strategic initiatives by ensuring efficient operations and optimal herd health while managing a proactive and well-trained team.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Honours degree or Postgraduate Degree in Agriculture/Animal Science, or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years direct working experience in a Dairy farm or similar environment of which 3 should have been at managerial level.
- Extensive knowledge on Dairy production & Value chain processes.
- Extensive experience in Fertility planning and artificial insemination.
- Sound understanding of Herd Health & Nutrition.
- Code B Driver’s License.
- An equivalent of 12-years working experience in the Dairy Industry (without a formal qualification).
- Knowledge of the Afikim herd data management System.
- Experience with SAP system.
- Implement the non-milk heifer and cow strategy in line with operational and strategic goals objectives of the business unit.
- Monitor the growth rate of heifers monthly and decide if the heifers who did not achieve the desired grow rate should be culled.
- Check on the overall condition of cow houses and implement a preventative maintenance plan.
- Advise and implement continuous improvement of cow houses by keeping up with technological advancements.
- Monitor the feed intake and take corrective action to maximize intake and minimize losses.
- Responsible for operational management of breeding and bull selection through continues improvement of processes and procedures on breeding, herd selection and bull selection.
- Determine the correct age and weight for heifers to be inseminated and check that the insemination is done at the correct time to increase fertility.
- Develop a cleaning schedule to ensure that water troughs, feeding lanes, bedding and manure lanes are cleaned to maintained good hygiene.
- Plan for yearly vaccinations, treatment schedules and control of medicine, identification & treatment of sick animals in close collaboration with with veterinarian.
- Update herd status daily, write reports, run information reports, identify deviations, and proactively plan to counter deviations.
- Prepare and control annual budget, monthly cost center controls, forecasting and reporting.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timeous reports on feed requirements and herd growth projections as and when required.
- Manage and direct subordinates according to work process daily and provide on-the-job training to subordinates.
How to Apply
391 total views, 1 today